On Saturday April 14th we held our Spring 2012 Celebration for Simple Gifts Community Garden. It was a terrific success! We had around 70 people attend during the course of the morning. The day was a beauty — sparkling sun, blue skies, and cool temperatures. It was a 3-ring circus:
- Our beekeeper, Pat Heafner, arrived around 9am and installed a new beehive and queen. A professional photographer set up a photo studio at the foot of the garden so he could document the installation of the new hive.
- Several new families joined the garden and immediately began working.
- We had photographers and a videographer covering the events (thank you, Dave, Lowell, and Jeremy!).
- Shawn Daley from the Apex Herald was at the garden to cover the event.
- Paul Steen arrived early and installed our new garden bench.
- At 11:20am Peak UMC’s Pastor Tim Catlett arrived and led a bench dedication service in memory of our dear friend Katy Wentz Williams.
- Several of Katy’s friends and neighbors attended the ceremony.
- Katy’s family, including her mom Jane, her daughter Shannon, her father-in-law and mother-in-law, Larry and Genny Williams, all spoke eloquently and gave heartfelt testimony to Katy’s remarkable life.
- Other family members attended, including Tim Williams’ brother and his family.
- We set up a tent and sold the new garden t-shirts and sweatshirts and signed up new garden members.
- We held a picnic at noon.
- We began the picnic by singing happy birthday to our garden and eating a slice of garden birthday cake (before lunch!).
In the midst of these festivities we worked together and accomplished a lot: we built up several of our raised beds, we weeded, harvested radishes, onions, Swiss chard and kale. We planted new zucchini and cucumbers. We watered the new seedlings and fruit bushes, admired our strawberries, and plowed the Lower 40 (yay, Bruce!). A big thank you to several people for moving the compost — especially Zeb and Lisa and Donna and Jacob!
Everyone contributed to the successful day at the garden. You can view some preliminary pictures right here on our website. (Click on the birthday cake picture on the left, then use your right-arrow key to scroll through the pictures on FlickR.)
We are grateful to dozens of garden members who came and worked so hard at our spring celebration!
Fred & Anne